With Fall in the air, I had a hankering for soup. This Sweet Potato Quinoa Chili hit the spot and my kids loved it, which is an added bonus!
Ever since we moved last month, I have been wanting to get my instantpot out and play around with it some more. After a few cool, rainy days this week, I made an executive decision to make soup for dinner last night.
When looking around for recipes I came across several using sweet potatoes and it sounded too good to pass up. My husband doesn’t like sweet potatoes, but I am always searching for new ways to make him eat them. He liked the soup, so I guess that’s something!
I was interested to see how my kids reacted to this chili. I set them each a bowl and made them try it. My picky eater ran to her room crying because she didn’t like the smell . . . my other three DEVOURED it. I was pleasantly surprised!
You win some, you lose some. I frequently lose that one with new meals. She did end up trying a sweet potato and then ate a biscuit with honey.
The recipe makes plenty so I will have good leftovers for a few days. I couldn’t believe how quickly this came together and fell more in love with the instantpot afterward!
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped (or dehydrated onion flakes, large handful)
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 1 can diced tomatoes, or 3 medium tomatoes, diced
- 4 c organic chicken stock or bone broth
- 1/2 c quinoa (rinsed and uncooked)
- 2 T tomato paste
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp salt
- Add all ingredients to your instant pot or pressure cooker.
- Lock the lid.
- Press “Manual” (on instant pot) and adjust the time for 12 minutes at high pressure.
- Cook in slow cooker on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours.