As soon as there is a chill in the air, this soup is what’s for dinner! I make this quinoa veggie soup year round but it is on the permanent rotation during the fall and winter months.
It’s time for soup. I love making soup because it’s easy, filling, hot, and makes great left overs. You can dress up a simple soup with delicious warm rolls, sourdough, cornbread, or biscuits. It tastes great re-heated and can easily be stretched for a crowd with a few minor adjustments.
I love that you can cook soup in the crock pot all day if you need to and have a delicious meal that evening. This recipe has been a staple in our home for the last 4 or 5 years. Everyone in my family will eat it (even if one of us is picking out carrots and potatoes and leaving the rest), and it’s easy to throw together.
My favorite recipes are those that can ebb and flow. This one is just that — you can make it your own and change it up how you like. Sometimes (most often) I don’t add chicken.
You can leave out the quinoa if you wish, but will want to decrease the broth to 5 or 6 c, as the quinoa soaks up a lot of moisture.
Mix and match veggies, add in new spices, try something different! But this is always our classic soup we make time and time again. It never fails us.
- 1 T olive or avocado oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 yellow onion, minced
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 2 medium red potatoes, diced
- 1/4 head red or green cabbage, chopped
- 8 c chicken stock or bone broth
- 2 c shredded chicken, optional
- 1/2 c [url href=”http://amzn.to/2db8Itn”]quinoa[/url], dry
- 1 T parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tsp dried basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in medium sized pot.
- Add garlic and onion and sauté until translucent.
- Add chicken stock and veggies.
- Bring to boiling then reduce heat to simmer.
- Add parsley, bay leaf, basil, and chicken (if using).
- Simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Add quinoa and simmer for another 10-15 minutes or until the quinoa is fully cooked.
- Serve with your favorite crackers, cornbread, or this [url href=”http://www.simplelifebykels.com/recipe-easy-sourdough-dutch-oven-bread/”]sourdough loaf.[/url]